Wild Recon DVD
SKU ID #257944
- Additional Details
- Format: DVD
- Number of Discs: 2
- Run Time: 7 hours 10 minutes
- Region: 1
- Language: English
- Studio: Gaiam (Exclusive)
In the Wild Recon DVD Set, you’ll join animal expert and adrenaline junkie Donald Schultz as he travels the world in search of rare species that may hold vital cures for deadly diseases.
Buy the Wild Recon DVD Set, and be poised for more than 7 hours of thrilling entertainment as you watch Donald Schultz get up close and personal with some of the world’s most dangerous animals.
1. Alien Invasion: Episode 1 of the animal DVDs Wild Recon follows animal adventurer Donald Schultz as goes 'Down Under' to Australia, home to some of the most venomous creatures on the planet. His mission is to find animals threatened with extinction by an unassuming toxic invader: the cane toad. He starts in the rugged bush, and when he finds his reptile targets, he takes venom and DNA samples from each one, in hopes of preserving these magnificent animals for future generations. Donald then journeys to the Southern Australia, where he tackles a thrashing emu that weighs as much as he does. His challenge is to avoid the flightless bird's razor-sharp talons long enough to get a blood sample for researchers. Finally, when night falls, he heads into the deadly waters off Queensland for his most dangerous mission of all: to grab rare, venomous sea snakes from a moving boat...by hand.
2. Rampage: Adrenaline junkie and animal adventurer Donald Schultz literally descends upon the Southeast Asian country of Sri Lanka in the aftermath of a brutal civil war — he becomes the only civilian to skydive into the nation in two decades. Production of antivenin has taken a back seat in this war-torn country, and, as a result, more than 1,200 of its people are dying each year from snakebites. Donald's mission is a dangerous but lifesaving one: capture three of Sri Lanka's deadliest snakes — the spectacled cobra, the krait and the Russell’s viper — and milk their venom so researchers can create antivenin. Donald then treks into the lowland forest in search of one of his favorite animals, a slender loris; a tiny primate with a bizarre toxic defense. Before his Sri Lanka mission is complete, Donald joins forces with dozens of men to find and relocate a rampaging rogue elephant that's terrorizing local villagers.
3. Bounty Hunter: This episode of the Wildlife DVDs Wild Recon follows animal adventurer Donald Schultz on a mission to the exotic nation of Belize, nestled between Mexico and Guatemala on the Caribbean coast of Central America. He sets out on a dramatic search for deadly animals that are the targets of poachers, like crocodiles, sharks and rays. His goal is to collect blood and tissue samples needed for research before these endangered animals disappear. He heads into the dense rain forest canopy to track down the loudest animal in the world — the howler monkey — a critically endangered primate that's falling prey to poachers. While there, Donald stumbles on his least favorite creature — a tarantula spider that's nearly as big as his hand. In an unusual "milking" procedure, Donald anesthetizes the spider, then uses a tiny electric shock to draw its rare and understudied venom.
4. Border War: Animal adventurer Donald Schultz returns to his home country of South Africa for a new mission and to take stock on what his country has done to pave the way for aggressive conservation efforts. There, he is tasked with tracking down and extracting blood samples from a regal cheetah and two massive rhinos, and hand-capturing the fastest-striking snake in Africa, the gaboon viper. Along the way, he sees the effects of human intrusion on animal habitats — and the potential for disastrous encounters.
5. Bitten: Episode 5 of the nature DVDs Wild Recon shows animal adventurer Donald Schultz on a mission in Australia to collect samples from some of the most venomous creatures on Earth, including the deadly taipan and stonefish. His mission is jeopardized when he gets too close to one snake and is bitten, far from any medical help.
6. Desert Venom: Animal adventurer Donald Schultz is one of the world's toughest environments, the deserts of Jordan. His mission in the unforgiving terrain is to track down and collect samples from animals that have adapted to life in this harsh landscape — deadly snakes, venomous lizards, camel spiders and hyenas. The samples Donald collects may hold secrets that could one day benefit people.
7. Lost Worlds: In this Wild Recon DVD Set episode, adrenaline junkie Donald Schultz travels through Mozambique, South Africa and Tanzania. His Mission: track down and collect biological samples from East Africa's biggest animals, including an elephant, a bull shark and a flying fox bat, then explore Pemba, a remote Tanzanian island with a history of black magic and forests that have never been scientifically chartered.
8. Hidden Curse: Adventurer Donald Schultz travels to ground zero for biodiversity — the rainforests of Costa Rica. His Mission: find and extract toxin, blood and venom samples that may hold keys to human pharmaceutical breakthroughs from a range of animals, including poison dart frogs, a three-toed sloth and a newly discovered species of sea snake.
9. Moving Target: This episode of the animal DVDs Wild Recon accompanies animal adventurer Donald Schultz as he travels to the mountainous kingdom of Swaziland in search of a snake that has eluded him all his life, the berg adder. As he crisscrosses the country in search of this biological holy grail, Donald will come face to face with a deadly black mamba, tackle a giraffe and examine a lion for a disease that threatens to wipe out the local population — anthrax.
10. Ocean Killers: With shark populations plummeting across the globe, scientists are in a race against time to save these fearsome predators from extinction. Animal adventurer Donald Schultz travels to the Bahamas, Florida and California to obtain tissues samples from highly endangered hammerhead populations, elusive reef sharks and a menacing bull shark.