Bad Universe DVD
SKU ID #294461
- Standard Shipping: 12/18, 12 pm ET
- 1-2 Business Days: 12/20, 12 pm ET
- Next Business Day: 12/23, 12 pm ET
- Additional Details
- Format: DVD
- Rating: Not Rated
- Number of Discs: 1
- Run Time: 180 Minutes
- Region: 1
- Aspect Ratio: 1.33:1
- Language: English
- Studio: Discovery Channel
- DVD Release Date: May 31, 2011
- Genre: Documentary
In the Bad Universe DVD, the Earth sits in the center of a cosmic shooting gallery: we are bombarded by one hundred tons of space debris every single day. Most of this just puts on a pretty light show, but every now and again something bigger and decidedly more deadly comes our way. According to this science DVD, 65 million years ago, an asteroid bigger than Mount Everest slammed into the Earth at a speed 30 times faster than a rifle bullet. The result: an explosion dwarfing our entire nuclear arsenal, and a mass extinction that spelled doom for the dinosaurs. "Bad Universe" host Phil Plait investigates the possibility that we might meet this same fate, talking to astronomers who find dangerous space objects, and others who spend their careers worrying about what to do about them. Do we nuke them, like in Hollywood movies? Or does this make matters worse? If another killer rock has our name on it, just what can we do about it? Join Phil in Bad Universe videos, as he puts several explosive ideas to the test "“ including the largest detonation ever filmed specifically for a science documentary "“ and gets results which just may save our planet.
Shop for the Bad Universe DVD and join host Phil Plait, as he contemplates a repeat of the deadly asteroid that wiped out dinosaurs 65 million years ago and how scientists are trying to develop way to stop it.
1. Asteroid Apocalypse - 65 million years ago, an asteroid bigger than Mount Everest slammed into the Earth wiping out the dinosaurs. Are we in for the same fate? Phil Plait investigates the possibility and tests some explosive measures that may just save our planet.
2. Alien Attack! - Fearless junk science detractor Phil Plait explores what it would take for a deadly alien visitation to happen on Earth, as well as answer that age old question: Are we alone?
3. Death Stars - The death of a star is one of the most violent forces in the universe capable of causing huge planetary damage. Phil will explore what happens when a dying star becomes a Supernova — or worse yet, a much deadlier Hypernova — and if the Earth is at risk.